Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday to my little man!

Yesterday was Stevie's 5th birthday. For some reason, the night before his birthday, Stevie said he didn't want it to be his birthday. We decided to avoid any conflict and go along with him, knowing that he would change his mind in the morning. Well, he didn't, and at 6:30 in the morning he came to my bedside with a sad little face telling me that he didn't want today to be his birthday. The only thing I could think to tell him was "okay, I guess we'll just forget about your birthday, and take your presents back to the store". He left the room for a few minutes, then came back to me with the SADDEST face I've ever seen, big crocodile tears saying "mommy, I want it to be my birthday!". So I told him to go back to bed, pretend to be asleep, and we'll come sing "Happy Birthday" to him. I swear the kid must be bi-polar, because his whole attitude changed, and, thank heaven, he was my happy boy again!

Jennah's gift to Stevie was to big to carry into his room, so she decided to try and trick him by giving him an old dictionary...of course he didn't fall for it, he's no dummy! Jennah had decided to give Stevie her old desk, and worked hard to clean it up to make it like new for him. I was so proud of her for this! That night we invited all our family close by to come over and celebrate with us. We had YUMMY homemade tacos with all the fixin's, and then went outside for cake and ice cream.


Then it was pinata time! Steve and I just couldn't bring ourselves to pay $20 for something that was just going to get destroyed, so I went on-line and got instructions to make a pinata. It was so easy and CHEAP! Definitely worth the price, nothing says fun like bashing in a super-hero's head right?!?


More pinata fun...



And of course, some of our wonderful party-goers, it sure was a fun night!
I can't believe my little boy is 5...time sure flies!




5 comments:

Laurie Freeman said...

love the pinata--looked great! Malachi just had is b-day and i was so sad. he starts school in a week and half. i can't believe how big the boys are getting. I have video of stevie at malachi's 2nd b-day party.

Joele and Matt said...

Looks like a fun bday and way to go on the pinata! That Stevie is such a character. Glad he changed his mind that he wanted a party:)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he is 5! I guess more I can't believe there is a kid out there that doesn't want it to be his birthday. What a cutie!

Cherie said...

That is so funny that he didn't want it to be his birthday! (Natalie prays for her birthday to come back in every food prayer she says.) I would have been REALLY worried if the presents didn't change his mind. It looks like he had a fun birthday. Good job on the pinata. You probably wouldn't have been happy with a store bought one. My brother got one for his son, and instead of hitting it, you were supposed to take turns pulling on a string. One of the strings makes the pinata open up. Yeah, pretty stupid--so we hit it with a bat, which it wasn't built for so it opened right up. So...I'm glad you figured out how to make your own!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melanie, got a question. Did you FINALLY sell your house? I drive by it at least 4-5 times a wk and I saw that there are people in it now. I hope so...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed