Last night was our ward Christmas party. My sister Laurie and I were asked to put together a couple of musical numbers. We decided on our old stand-by "Star Bright" with my dad playing guitar, and for the other number, I played "Away in a Manger" on my violin with Laura accompanying me on the piano. Because I HATE tuning in front of a crowd, I tuned my violin before the program started, and tucked it safely away until it was time to play. Just before playing, I quietly plucked the strings to make sure I was still in tune...everything was fine. The song was going well, then halfway through, it happened...the lowest string (G) slipped out of tune WHILE I was playing (something that has NEVER happened to me before, even in private, but now I had the entire ward there to experience this "first" with me). Because most of the notes were played on that string, there was nothing I could do but stop and re-tune it. The worst part, it wouldn't stay. It felt like an eternity before I could get it to stay in tune and continue the song. I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die! To make matters worse, after it was all over, Steve lovingly pointed out to me that I was BRIGHT red...niiiiiice. I'm so glad the whole ward was there to share in my embarrassment :P
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh so sorry that happened! You're so talented in music - I'm sure everyone understood!!
awwww . . . at least it was the instruments fault and not yours . . .that makes it way better.
Post a Comment